This Outreach technique can be used several ways: food or clothing drive, rummage sale item procurement, scavenger hunt…
Contact a company to print pencils with the name of your church, including the church address, phone number and website. Many companies are available online for ordering.
How Pencil Evangelism Works:
The Youth will knock on a door. (Always go in pairs and an adult should be close by!)
1. The resident is asked if they have a food item to exchange for a pencil for a local food drive.
2. The resident is asked if they have an extra unwanted winter coat to exchange for a pencil for a local winter coat drive.
3. The resident is asked if they have a rummage sale item to exchange for a pencil.
4. The resident is asked if they have a certain scavenger hunt item to exchange for a pencil.
5. The resident is asked if they have a ….. (your idea here) to exchange for a pencil.
Most of us are more than a little intimidated to knock on a door and hand out a brochure to our church. But the pencil is the ice breaker and makes this a fun way to evangelize. Make sure you do have a brochure from your church in case one is requested.
(submitted by Family of God Lutheran Church, Ft. Mohave, AZ)