Dear Fellow Workers in Christ’s Kingdom:
Our convention in June had the general theme, “Engaging One Another With Jesus’ Teachings.” The focus of the two-day essay by the Rev. Jonathan Madson was to lead us point-by-point through a review of basic Bible teachings, not only for personal strengthening but to better prepare us to give answer to people who ask concerning the hope we have within us (1 Peter 3:15). We include in this newsletter further items from our sessions.
Blessings in Christ,
John A. Moldstad
Summary of the 2015 ELS Convention, June 21-24, 2015
- Prior to adjournment on Wednesday afternoon, the convention spent: 52% of its time in Devotions/Essay, 28% of its time with Business/Elections, and 20% of its time listening to Presentations.
- Pastor David Emmons was received into membership and fellowship was acknowledged with Grace Lutheran Church in Crookston, Minnesota.
- The Doctrine Committee was encouraged to keep the members of the ELS informed about the informal meetings with the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod; to continue formally meeting with the Church of the Lutheran Confession; and to continue fostering fellowship through the Evangelical Lutheran Confessional Forum and the Confessional Evangelical Lutheran Conference.
- President Dan Bruss was thanked for his many years of service to Bethany Lutheran College, and Dr. Gene Pfeifer was encouraged as he assumes these duties.
- Members of the synod were encouraged to recruit for and attend Bethany Lutheran College and Seminary and to remember the college and synodical entities in their wills and financial planning.
- The name of the Board for Lutheran Schools of America was changed to Board for Education, and new Bylaws and Guidelines were adopted for the board.
- Congregations were encouraged to reimburse the synod for term life insurance for their pastors. The synod carries a $50,000 term life insurance policy on each pastor and called worker. The synod office also will pass along information regarding using health reimbursement accounts and professional Christian counseling through Wisconsin Lutheran Child and Family Services.
- Congregations were encouraged to inform their pastor of any military service members in need of spiritual care and to make use of the website for veterans <els.org/resources/military>.
- Congregations of the synod were commended for exceeding $725,000 in contributions for 2014.
- A 2016 congregational funding budget of $760,000 was adopted, with funding in excess of $725,000 to be allocated to the Board for Home Outreach.
- The dates for the 2016 Synod Convention were set: June 19-23, 2016.
- Thanks also were expressed to the many donors that support the work of the synod through contributions to the general budget and donations to Bethany Lutheran College and Seminary, home outreach, world outreach, and the various special projects conducted by the synod’s boards and committees. All members are encouraged to apply biblical principles of stewardship and give generously for the Lord’s work.
Greetings from Chile
Missionary Tim Erickson and seminary students from Chile spoke to the ELS convention via Skype. The convention was able to see and hear them live, while the Chilean brothers were able to see and hear the convention.
Elections at the 2015 Synod Convention
- Board of Trustees: Mr. Dennis Behr, Rev. Paul Schneider
- Board of Regents: Mr. Paul Chamberlin, Rev. Erwin Ekhoff, Rev. David Thompson, Rev. Nicholas Proksch (Type B)
- Doctrine Committee: Mr. Allen Quist, Rev. David Jay Webber
- Board for Home Outreach: Mr. Keith Duin, Rev. Aaron Hamilton, Dr. Michael Smith
- Board for World Outreach: Mr. Matthew Behmer, Mr. Thomas Conzelmann, Rev. Bradley Kerkow
- Board for Youth Outreach: Mr. Peter Bloedel, Rev. Matthew Brooks, Rev. Bernt Tweit
- Board for Christian Service: Mr. Brad Wosmek
- Committee on Worship: Rev. Peter Faugstad
- Committee for Communication: Mr. David Gruen, Mr. Andrew Overn
- Equalization Committee: Mr. William Anderson
- Board for Education: Rev. Christopher Dale (2-year unexpired term), Mr. Ken Meyer, Rev. Trent Saari, Mr. Timothy Schubkegel
- Planning and Coordinating Committee: Mr. Ronald Younge
- Circuit 8 Visitors: Rev. Nicholas Proksch (visitor), Rev. John Merseth Sr. (alt.)
- Board of Appeals: Rev. James Braun, Rev. Jerome Gernander, Rev. Daniel Hartwig, Dr. Timothy Schmeling, Dr. Ryan MacPherson, Mr. Kermit Traska
- 2016 Committee on Nominations: Mr. Dennis Behr, Mr. Greg Costello, Mr. Todd Knutson, Mr. Allen Quist, Rev. Erwin Ekhoff, Rev. Peter Faugstad, Rev. David Russow, Rev. David Thompson
On June 24 the convention thanked the retiring editor of the Lutheran Sentinel, the Rev. Ted Gullixson (pictured here with wife Diane), for 20 years of faithful service. On September 1, the Rev. Kyle Madson will assume the duties of Managing Editor.
Resignation from BHO
Mr. Robert Smith has offered his resignation from being a Type B member on the Board for Home Outreach. His resignation is for health reasons. We thank him for his many years of service.
Bethany College Opening Service
This year the opening worship service for Bethany Lutheran College will be occurring on Tuesday, August 25, at 9:00 am in the Ronald J. Younge Gymnasium. At this service the new president of the college, Dr. Gene Pfeifer, will be installed.
- July 4 – 50th Anniversary of Camp Lor-Ray
- July 5 – Ordination of Candidate of Theology Michael Lilienthal at Redeemer Lutheran (Iola, Wisconsin)
- July 5 – Installation of the Rev. Erich Hoeft at Holton Lutheran (Holton, Michigan)
- July 12 – Installation of the Rev. Phillip Lepak at Our Saviour Lutheran Church (Lake Havasu City, Arizona)
- July 12 – Installation of the Rev. David Emmons at Northwood, Iowa
- July 12 – Installation of the Rev. Cory Hahnke at Grace & Our Saviour’s Lutheran (Madison, Wisconsin)
- July 23 – Centennial Committee
- July 23-26 – Lutheran Youth Association Convention (Mankato, Minnesota)
- July 27-30 – Pres. Moldstad will bring greetings to the WELS convention (Saginaw, Michigan)
- July 30-31 – Board for Home Outreach
- August 4 – Board of Trustees
- August 5 – Synod Review Committee
- August 17-18 – Doctrine Committee
- August 21 – Meeting with members of the Church of the Lutheran Confession
- August 24-25 – Board of Regents
- August 25 – Opening Service of Bethany Lutheran College
Click here to view current vacancies and calls in the Evangelical Lutheran Synod.
Click here to download the newsletter bulletin insert.